Read it, see it,
Immersive Reality (IR) Books are a ground-breaking addition to library shelves. Their combination of virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR) with print books is a unique offering absolutely certain to appeal to young learners.
The first of their kind
Offering titles in exciting subjects at two different reading levels, IR Books™ are appealing enough in print alone. Adding in the astounding ability for readers to place themselves into their topics takes that excitement to a whole new level. Studying topics such as outer space, world geography, deadly animals, and dangerous professions has never been so breathtaking.
Studies have repeatedly shown that most children are visual and interactive learners, making IR Books the ideal teaching tool for libraries, parents, caregivers, and teachers alike.
Catch the excitement of IR books!
Watch the video
IR books™ titles
Level 1 titles recommended for ages 4–7
Level 2 titles recommended for ages 8–14
Two reading levels allow a wide range of students to experience IR Books: Level 1 for ages 4–7 and Level 2 for ages 8–14
List price per book is only $38.95, and includes a free VR headset
High interest categories make IR Books perfect for reluctant readers
Nine new titles are to be released each quarter
The IR app is available for iOS and Android
Access to an extensive array of downloadable promotional materials for both print and web use
What people Are Saying About ir Books™
“This is a game changer for my family.”
I just wanted you to know, I did a demo at our local elementary school with the kits we created with your IR Books, and can I say what a HUGE hit they were. I had a line all night long. I’m going to debut the VR Kits the first week in June and I’m expecting them to fly off the shelf. Let me know when a new selection of titles is coming out. I’d love to see some more ocean books as well as other habitats and more animal books. Can’t wait!
Thank you! This is a game changer for my family. My kids (7 and 9) cannot get enough of these “epic” books. So thrilled to have discovered them at my library, and looking forward to more!
The people walking on the moon were great. I accidentally bumped into Neil Armstrong the same time I walked into my couch, so I really felt as though I had physically been on the moon with him.
I really liked that it was so real and that the planets were like they were right there, and there were real facts. There was nothing that I didn’t like.
The experience was amazing! My 10-year-old son LOVED it and wanted to keep doing it over and over.
My Daughter loves this app. She was amazed at how real everyting looks in VR. You read the book and scan the QR code on the page and step into another place and time. It was really easy to use. I hightly recommmed IR Books to enhance your children’s learning experience—and I have to admit—I enjoyed it just as much as she did.
She enjoyed using the VR headset because she liked how she had full visualization of the solar system. It was very “cool.” Overall, and she felt it was “awesome.”
When I saw the spacecraft come at me, it was really unexpected—to see the spacecraft right in front of me. I also learned that it was named voyager 1.
Overall, it was very cool! I would definitely buy these books for my boys—it’s like a cross between video games and learning—but with more learning. I usually have to beg or bribe my kids to do their reading, but with IR Books—they’d just do this for fun on their own. These are wonderful.
Excellent educational experience! Gets kids interested in science and technology. Ask for the books and goggles at your public library.
This is really cutting-edge technology, from a company that excels in bringing the latest technology to the 21st. century library. The great thing is, that I don’t have to have any special equipment other than what I already have in my phone. Download the app and it’s done. I only wish there were more “experiences” in each book, but each one is so good, the youth will probably never get bored.
FAQS ABOUT IR Books™
What are IR Books?
IR Books™ are the first of their kind. Combining cutting edge VR and AR technology with traditional children’s books, IR Books redefine the learning experience, allowing students to delve into new and exciting topics like never before.
With IR Books, students first read about a favorite topic from the printed page. Then, with the help of the IR Books app, they can bring that topic to life, creating a captivating educational experience like no other.
From traveling back in time to witness the birth of the universe, to diving deep beneath the ocean for a close encounter with Great White Sharks, to journeying to exotic destinations around the world, IR Books turn curious students into protagonists of their own adventures, offering a wide range of engaging content to explore in a truly unforgettable way.
Where can library patrons get IR Books?
Library Ideas only sells IR Books to libraries.
What is the target age group for IR Books?
IR Books are available in a wide range of reading levels and are appropriate for students of all ages.
- Level 1 titles: ages 4-7
- Level 2 titles: 8-14
What do you need to use IR Books?
- The physical book
- The IR Books app from the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store
- An Android (e.g., Samsung, Google, etc.) or iOS (Apple) mobile device capable of hosting the minimum system requirements as listed on the IR Books app; look here for a full list
- (Recommended) For the full 360-degree immersive VR experience, VR goggles that can use an inserted smartphone are required
How exactly do patrons use IR Books?
(Note: Readers must be online to use the app.)
- First, patrons should download the IR Books App from the App or Google Play store.
- Then, as they read the printed book, they will find QR codes at three different points in the book.
- These codes will activate a related VR (Virtual Reality) or AR (Augmented Reality) experience.
- Once they’re at a QR code, they should open the app and follow the onscreen instructions.
- They should tap the “Scan” button – the open sided square icon -- and scan the QR code by centering it in the box.
- The VR or AR experience will then automatically download.
- Once the experience has downloaded, they should select “Launch.”
- Then they will be asked if they have a cardboard headset and should tap either the “Cardboard Headset” or “No Headset” button.
- Selecting “No Headset” will launch a 2D video of the experience, rather than the full VR experience.
- Selecting “Cardboard Headset” will launch the VR experience. After selecting it, they should place their phone into the headset and the experience will start automatically.
- In the middle of their screen will be a small white dot. This is the same as a mouse pointer and is used to select certain commands within the VR app while using the VR headset. They simply need to look at the icons to select the command.
- Each VR experience contains several POIs (Points of Interest). When the initial VR experience ends, they will see an “i” in a circle, indicating more information is available. They can select the POI by looking at it to see additional video and information about the book’s topic.
- To exit out of the VR experience, patrons just need to place the pointer to the Home button, again by looking at it. To replay the experience, they just need to place the pointer on the replay button.
What do patrons need to know about IR Books’ VR experiences?
To get the most out of the experience, patrons will want to:
- Look all around -- not just straight ahead.
- Listen for the narration and the music.
- After the initial experience, look out for additional Points of Interest. (Points of Interest are visible as an “i” inside a circle. Patrons should simply look at the “i” icon with their goggles to go deeper into the book.)
Where can patrons get the IR Books app?
The IR Books app can be found either in the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store.
Patrons just need to search for IR Books and download the app. They can then follow any onscreen instructions.
Is any registration required for our patrons to use IR Book?
No. They just need to check out the book from your library and download the app.
Absolutely no registration is required to use the IR Books app, and patrons will not have to enter any personal information.
All they need is the physical book, their smartphone with the downloaded IR Books app, and (if desired) VR goggles.
What devices work with IR Books?
The IR Books app is available for both iOS and Android devices.
Not all smartphones will work with IR Books, due to the processing needs of their advanced VR and AR technology.
A full list of compatible devices can be found here.
Do patrons need a VR headset to use IR Books?
No, a VR headset isn’t absolutely required to use the IR Books app. Without the headset, patrons will still be able to see a 2D video of each experience.
However, we highly recommend using a VR headset that is compatible with smartphones to take full advantage of the immersive, 360° VR experience.
What type of VR headsets work with IR Books?
Any VR headset that can use an inserted smartphone will work.
We recommend using the branded IR Books VR headsets provided by Library Ideas.
These headsets can be wiped down with disinfecting wipes, and replacements eventually can be purchased for only $8.95 each.
How many IR Books are available?
We are currently offering two collections of nine IR Books each, for a total of 18 books.
More titles are currently in production and will be released on a regular basis.
What is AR and how do patrons use it?
Augmented reality (AR) overlays digital content and information onto the physical world, melding the digital world with the physical world into one space. (Pokémon GO is probably the best known example of AR.)
To use IR Books AR experiences, patrons scan the QR codes from the books they’ve borrowed.
The IR Books™ app will open their smartphone’s camera. They can then follow the onscreen instructions to scan the background in their environment.
Once the app has successfully completed the background scanning process, they just tap the screen and images will appear. Then they can press the play button to start the animation and audio narration.
If a patron has already downloaded an IR Book, how can they replay the experience?
From the home page of the app, they just need to press the Home or Explore button and then press the scan icon on the bottom right-hand corner. If the IR Book is already downloaded, it will immediately start loading the experience again.
How can a patron delete an IR Book from the app?
They would just need to press the Home or Explore button in the app. While they are on the main menu, they should press the yellow/orange book icon in the lower right-hand corner of the app. Any books that they have downloaded will appear there. Then they just need to press the “Remove” button next to any titles they would like to remove from their app.
Why is the IR Book App not working?
It could be that the smartphone being used isn’t powerful enough to support VR/AR.
A full list of compatible devices can be found here.
Library Ideas®, LLC provides digital and print marketing to help you promote your new products!
- logo graphics
- print materials for handouts
- digital images for websites
- design assistance